Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dean's World! Party Time! Excellent!

Yesterday, I sat down with Jim Berger, one of our new Chapter members, and a friend with whom he has had a cable access talk how for 5-6 years. They approached me with the idea of me having either a half-hour or hourlong weekly show on a local cable system.

We kicked around concepts and agreed that if it happened, we all wanted it to be substantive, engaging and entertaining ... but also something that would raise the profile of the Episcopal Church in general and Christ Church Cathedral in particular.

I expressed interest in exploring it further but also a concern that my available show prep time was likely to be fairly limited and I would need a producer to take care of all of the details because I don't have the time and the Cathedral doesn't have the support staff to do this. They didn't see that as a problem.

We left without deciding on a concept and they pretty much left it to me to come up with something. So I want to open it up to you. But first....

Why this is important for Christ Church Cathedral.
That probably should be a "why could this be important for Christ Church Cathedral." I have expressed interest in this but haven't agreed to it yet. The first reason I think it could be important is we are people of the Great Commission in Matthew 28:18-20

"And Jesus came and said to them, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.’

We are to be proclaimers of the Gospel not hiders of it. This could be an opportunity for us to spread some Good News around in a medium and in language that people could here us. Also, if the mission of the Cathedral is the mission of reconciliation and if we are to be a heart of mission and ministry for the city, it could be a chance not only to raise our profile for that purpose but even to bring divergent people together for substantive conversation.

What do you think?
Do you think I should do this? What concept do you think would be compelling? What ideas do you have? Any other thoughts? (BTW, if you leave a comment, please sign your name. I put my name on everything I write and ask everyone to do the same). 

1 comment:

Emily Bloemker said...

You should totally do it! You were a hit on 'Missionary Positions' on WUTV. Maybe not the same subject matter this time, but I would guess that people would appreciate hearing a strong voice from the religious left taking positions on current political / religious issues. You should definitely find an intern to produce this...