Monday, November 5, 2012

Faith knows no party II -- How people of faith can choose either side.


Last week, I asked several people of deep faith -- some Republican, some Democrat, all St. Louis Episcopalians -- to write no more than 2 paragraphs telling about what core principles of their Christian faith lead them to embrace what they see as the core principles of their party.

I asked them to
DO speak openly and passionately about both your faith and your party affiliation.
DO speak clearly about how your faith is expressed in your political views and affiliation.
DO NOT talk at all about "the other party."
DO NOT talk about a specific candidate for office.

My goal is to demonstrate what has been my personal experience ... which is that while both parties have at times claimed a corner on faithfulness, neither has it. This is about showing that people can be faithful Republicans and faithful Democrats ... and that the Episcopal Church (I hope) is big enough to hold both.

I will be posting the responses here -- two a day until the election (or until they stop coming in). PLEASE continue the conversation in the comments but also abide by the DOs and DONTs above and use "I statements."
-----

Katie Des Prez - A Faithful Democrat
Some people might consider what I’m about to say to be paradoxical: Among the central tenets of my religious beliefs is reason. In my estimation, faith is impossible without a willingness to ask questions and challenge paradigms. It is important to me to be a part of a church community that embraces change and accepts how evolving knowledge can also transform how we approach certain issues (such as homosexuality and our ideas about creation and science, for example).It is also important to me to be a part of a political party that supports scientific progress, as I believe that God gave us the gift of scientific insight in order to see what is truly miraculous about Nature and to put creation to its most just use.

On the other hand, some things should not change even as the world around us does: our dedication to helping those less fortunate, our willingness to engage different faiths (or those who are not religious) in open and honest dialogue, and rejecting prejudice. Government’s most important role is reducing inequalities among people. I believe in reducing disparities among Americans and around the world, and that is why I am a Democrat. It makes me sad to say that I feel one party would support these principles more than another, as I feel that they are truly human — not political — values. But meeting the needs of the poor, continued openness with other cultures around the world, and support of the rights of all people are also the main reasons why I identify as an Episcopalian and a Democrat.

Becky Davidson - A Faithful Republican
When i was asked to do this, I was humbled and a bit terrified. I wanted to make sure that I touched on what the most important thing for me to say and how do I say it succinctly. After praying about it and talking with my family, it came to me. I would say the two aspects of my Christian faith that have had the greatest influence in my political decisions are life and choices. The life aspect is easy to explain. I value life. This past week I had the opportunity to hold my niece for the first time. When she smiled and reached out to me it was the best gift anyone could give me. My niece, nephew and God children are a most wonderful gift from God. I don't understand how anyone see a child as anything other then that wonderful gift. As a woman, I have had to work through where my body ends and where a baby begins. I won't say it was easy because regardless of what anyone says life begins within the woman's body and is nurtured by her body. Yet regardless of where the life begins it is still a life. The Republican Party shares my belief that this life should be protected. This leads to my second part of choices. Other than in the instances of rape, a woman has the choice of whether to try to conceive or not. I understand birth control is not 100% fail safe but abstinence is.

Your life is a series of choices, some good and some not so good. God gave us free choice. We are responsible for accepting the consequences of those choices - good or bad. The Government is not a replacement for God. Loving my neighbor does not mean that my hard earned money should go to the government to take care of someone else. My observation has been that providing welfare as a solution predominantly breeds dependence on welfare not independence. I miss the days when someone had a need and the local churches and community helped, instead of everyone relying on the Federal Government to provide the primary support. There are times when people need a hand up. The east coast after storm Sandy last week is a perfect example. People across the country - if not across the world - are pitching in to help. When the tornado struck Joplin, people from across Missouri sent truck loads of food, water and clothing. Others traveled down to offer a hand. Jesus never asked Caesar to help, he asked his children to love their neighbor. The Republican Party shares my belief that the role of government is not to replace God. It should be up to people to help people and when given the opportunity, they do.


No comments: